Tuesday, August 18, 2026

DANGEROUS BUILDINGS IN NICOSIA - THE EOA IS ON HOLD FOR €2 million FUND







DANGEROUS BUILDINGS IN NICOSIA - THE EOA IS ON HOLD FOR €2 million FUND. - Filenews 18/8 by Angelos Nikolaou


The EOA of Nicosia is waiting to receive a fund of about €2 million, for the purpose of removing the danger in dangerous buildings. As stated by the President of EOAL, Konstantinos Georghadjis, he is waiting for instructions from the Ministry of the Interior on how it should submit the application for the allocation of the fund.

This fund had been approved to the Municipality of Nicosia by the Border Areas Revitalization Fund for the purpose of removing the risk in dangerous infrastructure, according to the Mayor of Nicosia, Charalambos Prountzos, but after the reform of the Local Government, it was transferred to the EOAL, after the Organization took over this responsibility. Mr. Prountzos noted that there is an assurance from the Ministry of Interior that this fund concerns the municipal district of Nicosia, since it comes from the Revitalization Fund for Border Areas.
Although the allocation of the fund is still awaited, the Municipality and the EOA of Nicosia have proceeded with joint building inspections, said Mr. Prountzos. He explained that the Municipality already had a register for some buildings and that joint inspections facilitate the process. He added, however, that the two bodies share the responsibilities related to such buildings, since nuisance issues are dealt with by the Municipality, while the responsibilities for hazards concern the EOA.

Mr. Prountzos also raised the difficulties faced by the Municipality in the case of a dangerous building, where nuisance is also found, since it is forbidden to do anything to deal with the problem, due to risks run by the staff. He also underlined the seriousness of the situation, since, as he said, the phenomena of nuisance can entail either health risks or the risk of fire in such buildings.

The President of the EOA Nicosia stated that letters have already been sent to owners of buildings that were deemed dangerous or found to be in need of repairs, to proceed with corrective measures. Depending on the response, it will become clear whether and in which cases the EOA should take action.

According to the updated data of the register of dangerous buildings of the EOA Nicosia, throughout the province there are 656 dangerous buildings and 55 buildings in need of repair, of which 171 dangerous buildings are located in the municipal district of Nicosia, where 28 of the buildings in need of repair are also located.

The President of ETEK, Konstantinos Konstantis, stated that, in the context of the advisory role performed by the Chamber, he has set up a three-member committee, to act as an advisor in relation to the conclusion of the professionals who indicate a building as dangerous. The purpose is, as he explained, to facilitate the EOAs in the event that there is a dispute about the conclusion of an engineer, in order to avoid court proceedings.