Tuesday, August 18, 2026

ERIN LEIGH - Mario's Bar, Tala - 21 August

 



ERIN LEIGH

Mario's Bar, Tala

21 August - 9pm

Free entry

FROM €85 TO €1,500 - CYPRUS GETS TOUGH ON UNLICENSED JET SKI OPERATORS







FROM €85 TO €1,500 - CYPRUS GETS TOUGH ON UNLICENSED JET SKI OPERATORS - KNews 18/8

After the serious Pernera accident, Cyprus’ modest penalty comes under scrutiny, with a new law set to raise the fine to €1,500.


After the serious accident involving a jet ski in Pernera, questions are being raised about how people with no operator’s license can legally rent and drive the high-speed vessels in Cyprus.

Under legislation in force since 2020, any adult can rent a jet ski or another high-speed boat from a licensed watersports business without holding an operator’s license, an official told the Cyprus News Agency.

ANKARA'S MARINE PARKS IN THE AEGEAN MARK A CLEAR TURN FROM CALM WATERS


Tayyip Erdogan said that Donald Trump ''has promised us the F-35s and the fulfilment of this promise is important for Turkey''. Photo credit: lionsinthepiazza.com




ANKARA'S MARINE PARKS IN THE AEGEAN MARK A CLEAR TURN FROM CALM WATERS - KNews 18/8 by Dora Antoniou


Athens reads the presidential decrees as an illegal bid to lock in claims under the cover of environmental protection.


Athens sees the publication in the Turkish Official Gazette of the presidential decrees by which Ankara declared marine parks in two areas as a clear step up in the push to force through the Turkish revisionist agenda in the Aegean and as the finishing of the shift away from the “calm waters” approach. One park sits in the North Aegean, in the sea between Lemnos and Samothrace. The second sits in the Eastern Mediterranean, surrounding Kastellorizo and cutting it completely off from Rhodes.

UNDER THE LIGHT OF THE RED MOON - Heroes Theatre, Limassol - 28 August

Cyprus Mail 18 August 2026 by Eleni Philippou



UNDER THE LIGHT OF THE RED MOON

Heroes Theatre, Limassol

28 August - 7.30pm


Live music with Dora Giannaki and Kostas Konstantiou. Free admission

CYPRUS ENTERS EUROPE'S GAMING BIG LEAGUE WITH €3.2billion INDUSTRY





CYPRUS ENTERS EUROPE'S GAMING BIG LEAGUE WITH €3.2billion INDUSTRY - Cy Mail 18/8 by Souzana Psara



Cyprus has broken into Europe’s ten largest video game industries by revenue, with more than 400 companies on the island generating an estimated €3.2 billion from games in 2025.

The finding comes from the first industry report published by the Cyprus Game Makers Association (CYGMA), which attempts to measure a sector that has expanded rapidly but remained largely absent from official statistics.

According to the report, 415 game studios and related companies were operating from Cyprus last year. Their mobile titles recorded about 615 million downloads, placing the island third worldwide behind China and Vietnam and ahead of the US.

MECCA AGREEMENT COULD LEAVE CYPRUS WITH 'LESS CONTROL' OVER ITS SECURITY


Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan, Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman and Pakistan's Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif after signing the Mecca agreement





MECCA AGREEMENT COULD LEAVE CYPRUS WITH 'LESS CONTROL' OVER ITS SECURITY - Cy Mail 18/8 by Eleni Panayiotou


Emerging security architecture in the Middle East risks leaving Cyprus with less control over its own security as regional powers are pushed towards competing alignments, area studies analyst and research fellow at the Institute of International Relations (IDIS) in Athens Ilya Roubanis warned on Monday.

Speaking to the Cyprus Mail about the Mecca joint defence agreement signed between Saudi Arabia, Turkey and Pakistan earlier this month, Roubanis said its significance for Cyprus lies less in the prospect of a new military alliance and more in what it reveals about an increasingly polarised region.

He was quick to reject comparisons with Nato, particularly suggestions that the agreement amounts to an Article 5-style collective defence commitment.

CHRISTODOULIDIS, MITSOTAKIS, MACRON AGREED - RESTART CABLE WITH NAVTEX AND FRENCH SHIPS FOR RESEARCH


 

CHRISTODOULIDIS, MITSOTAKIS, MACRON AGREED - RESTART CABLE WITH NAVTEX AND FRENCH SHIPS FOR RESEARCH - Filenews 18/8 by Chrysanthos Manoli


Developments for the electricity interconnection between Cyprus and Greece did not freeze on August 5, 2026, with the signing of the two agreements between IPTO, GSI, Meridiam and Nexans. On the contrary, the political climax of the discussions on the restart of the project on land - better at sea - followed in the days after the ceremony for the signing of the two important agreements at the Maximos Mansion.

The information of Phileleftheros states that the promotion - as soon as possible - of the decisive next steps by GSI (Great Sea Interconnector), under its new shareholder structure and under the leadership of the powerful French company Meridiam, but also by the French Nexans, which executes the contract for the construction and laying of the cable, for 1.4 billion. for the time being, it was the subject of telephone consultations between the President of the Republic Nikos Christodoulides, the Prime Minister of Greece Kyriakos Mitsotakis and the President of France Emmanuel Macron.