Friday, March 10, 2023

CRIME ROUND UP

 Filenews 10 March 2023



A new armed robbery occurred at dawn at a kiosk in Chloraka on Archbishop Makarios Avenue, in one of the two kiosks where a robbery took place two days ago, in exactly the same way.

As reported by the spokesperson of the Paphos ADE, Michalis Nikolaou, at 3:40 this morning an unknown man wearing a hood and black clothes entered the kiosk and showing the cashier a pistol, which he had tucked in his waistband, managed to extract a sum of €300 from her, leaving the scene on foot. As the 50-year-old kiosk employee said in a statement to the Police, it seems to be the same person who robbed the booth in the early hours of Wednesday, March 8, extorting €400 from her.

In his statements, Mr. Nikolaou appealed to the owners of kiosks or other premises that remain open on a 24-hour basis, asking for their cooperation with the Police to avoid such phenomena.

Every night, he said, the Police conduct searches, stop vehicles and constantly patrol but it is impossible to be outside every kiosk and every bakery.

According to him, the owners, as in the past with the robberies in the bakeries, need to take a series of measures themselves to prevent such phenomena.

Controlled entry by cashiers, shifts with two people, and a limited amount of money in the tills are some of the measures that can help in this direction, he added.

We as the Police, he added, will continue to do our job but in order to deal with this phenomenon, the cooperation of both the owners and the public is also needed.

CNA

* * * * * *

A 24-year-old man who was wanted in connection with a car theft case committed in Famagusta district was arrested yesterday by members of the Police. The 24-year-old was arrested by members of the Police in Limassol, who after information about a car that was suspiciously parked in an area in Pano Polemidia, located him inside the vehicle, which as it was later found out, was also stolen.

Specifically, shortly after 2.00pm yesterday, following information about a car that is suspiciously parked in an open area in Pano Polemidia, members of ope Limassol rushed to the spot, where they spotted the 24-year-old suspect lying in the driver's seat of the car, which as the members of the OPE found out after a check, had been stolen from an area of the Limassol district, on 03 to 04 March. The theft of the vehicle, in which there were tools and other objects, was reported to the Episkopi Police Station on March 04.

After the 24-year-old was arrested for an offence committed in the act of committing an offence, it was subsequently found that a court warrant had been issued against him in connection with a case of theft of another car, committed in Famagusta district, on February 28. The stolen car has already been located by the Police, while the case of its theft is being investigated by the Famagusta ICF.

A judicial arrest warrant was pending against the 24-year-old for a total of seven cases of attempted theft and theft of property, such as money and clothing, from parked cars, cases that are being investigated by the Aradippou Police Station.

The theft and attempted theft offences were committed in the evening between 06 and 07 February, in the areas of Aradippou and Kalo Chorio, in the Larnaca district.

Evidence in relation to two other cases of theft of property from parked cars in Limassol, emerged against the 24-year-old suspect after his arrest yesterday in Limassol. These are cases of theft of a video camera and a number of tools, from two parked cars, committed on March 02, in the area of Agia Fyla and are being investigated by the Police Station of Polemidia.

* * * * * *

In Germany for the arrest of a 41-year-old man and his transfer to Cyprus, investigators of the ICF Limassol went yesterday.

According to the Police, the 41-year-old was wanted on the basis of a European Arrest Warrant in connection with a case of burglary of a building and theft of property with a total value of about  €15,000.  

The members of the Police transferred the man from Cyprus today at dawn, while the suspect will appear today before the Limassol District Court for a request for his detention

* * * * * *

Five arrests were made on Thursday night to Friday by the Police in Chloraka, as part of the investigation of the cases of robberies of kiosks, committed in recent days in the community. The arrests were made during a coordinated operation in the building complex that serves as a "ghetto" of illegal aliens.

Arrested are two 26-year-olds, a 27-year-old, a 22-year-old and a 21-year-old, all from Syria. The first three were arrested on suspicion of committing a robbery, while the last two were arrested for the offence of illegal possession of property.

From the police examinations, testimony was initially obtained against a 27-year-old resident of Paphos, on the basis of which a judicial arrest warrant was issued against him. The 27-year-old was arrested on the afternoon of March 8, pursuant to the court warrant, while yesterday he was brought before the Paphos District Court, which issued a four-day detention order against him.

Further investigation of the case secured testimony for two other 26-year-olds, also residents of Paphos, against whom judicial arrest warrants were issued. One of the two was arrested at noon yesterday and taken into custody to facilitate interrogations.

The second was arrested around 9.30pm. yesterday. The arrest was followed by a search of his apartment, where two other persons, aged 21 and 22, were found. During the investigation, various power tools were found, for which the three occupants of the apartment, did not give an explanation of how they were found in their possession. As a result, all three were arrested for the offence of unlawful possession of property and detained to facilitate interrogations.

The ICF Paphos continues the examinations.